Book, Music, and Lyrics
by GAIL KRIEGEL
Directed and Choreographed
by PATRICIA BIRCH
UPCOMING | HOME FRONT | JUNE 27, 2014 at 7PM
Chosen to be presented by The National Black Theatre Festival, in Howard University's Blackburn Center.
A MUSICAL set in 1930's Jim Crow south where lines must be crossed by a half black, half white 'girl'
who dreams big.
Directed By Pat Birch, Produced By Creative Place International & Dream Big Theatrical
Ford Foundation Studio Theatre
at the Pershing Square Signature Theatre Center.
480 West 42 St. NYC.
March 6: Eskilstuna, Sweden
March 10: Dhaka, Bangladesh
March 11: Mons, Belgium
March 27: Riga, Latvia
UPCOMING | HOME FRONT
New production, Nov. 2014
A DRAMA about war and racism set in a college remedial English class where a group of returning Veterans – all men, African American, Asian and Latino – come up against their white woman teacher whose husband died in the war.
Diamond Theater at Pershing Square Signature Theatre Center
Directed by Pat Birch, Produced by Creative Place International
Tribeca Performing Arts Center, 2012
Paula Cizmar, Catherine Filloux, Gail Kriegel, Carol K. Mack, Ruth Margraff, Anna Deavere Smith and Susan Yankowitz
SEVEN WOMEN / SEVEN PLAYWRIGHTS:
“Riveting, explosive, and inspiring drama…starkly emotive…reaffirm[s] the belief that one person could indeed make a difference.”—Huffington Post.
“It was impossible not to be inspired by the widely varying examples of courage that the project corralled.” —Washington Post.
“[A] coherent testimony of fundamental, frightening and shameful oppression of women all over the world—in the name of traditional economical, political and physical male power…It is an overwhelming experience to hear these women through the actors: brief, unsentimental, universal and personal. One cries. And becomes a little wiser.” —Dagens Nyheter (Sweden).
A collaboration of seven award-winning women playwrights, SEVEN is based on personal interviews with seven women leaders of the Vital Voices Global Partnership network who have triumphed over huge obstacles to create major changes in human rights in their home countries. In the seven interwoven stories we see the commonality of challenge and of bravery, and in the individual monologues that follow, we experience each fascinating whole true story.
For news, info, and video, see: www.sevenplay.org and for videos from International performances visit www.seventheplay.com.
SEVEN has now been translated into French, Swedish, Spanish, Serbian, Russian, Turkish, Finnish & Japanese.
- September 2013 and in Autumn 2013, Kosovo, Albania,Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, and Macedonia.
- Dec 2, 2012 Kalmar, SWEDEN
- Oct 20, 2012 Växjö, SWEDEN
- Oct 12, 2012 (in Swedish), Nässjö, SWEDEN
- Sep 14, 2012 Kristinehamn, SWEDEN
- Jun 10, 2012 The Hangö Festival, FINLAND
- May, 2012 TBA Vilnius, LITHUANIA
- May, 2012 TBA Istanbul Theatre Biennial, TURKEY
- May 31, 2012 TBA Vilnius, LITHUANIA
- May 16, 2012 Kenter Tiyatrosu/Istanbul Theater Festival, Istanbul, TURKEY
- Apr 22, 2012 (in Swedish), Göteborg, SWEDEN
- Mar 21, 2012 Visions and Voices: USC’s Arts & Humanities Initiative at Bovard Auditorium, University of Southern California, CA, USA
- Mar 16 – Mar 18, 2012 Hartnell College, Salinas, CA, USA
- Mar 8 – Mar 25, 2012 Chain Reaction Theatre Project, Eden Prairie, MN, USA
- Mar 4, 2012 TBA Kobenhaven, etc. with Hanne Vibeke-Holst DENMARK
- Feb 23 – Mar 11, 2012 Pygmalion Productions at the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
- Feb 20, 2012 Vara Konserthus, SWEDEN
- new USA productions in California, Utah, Indiana, and at Hostos Community College in the Bronx
- November 2012 Tokyo, Jordan, Istanbu, performed in Rabat, Morocco in Arabic and French
- Dec 7, 2011 Swedish Institute, St. Petersberg, RUSSIA (performed in Russian)
- Nov 10-13, 2011 Quinnipiac University, Hamden, CT, USA
- Oct 25, 2011 Pozorište Atelje 212, Belgrade, SERBIA (performed in Serbian)
- Oct 21, 2011 Knjaževsko Srpski Teatar, Kragujevac, SERBIA (Seven/SEDAM, performed in Serbian)
- Oct 18, 2011 Den Lilla Skillnaden, Skillnadsgatan 5, Helsinki, FINLAND
- July 6, 2011 Säkerhetspolitiskt Sommartorg Restaurang Hamnplan 5, hörnet Hamnplan/Cramérgatan, Stockholm, SWEDEN
- Apr 13-17, 2011 Wayland Baptist University Theatre, Plainview TX, USA
- Mar 26, 2011 University of Leeds, U.K.
- Mar 19, 2011 Roda sten, Goteborg, SWEDEN
- Mar 14, 2011 Women4Women Society, Durham University, U.K.
- Mar 10-11, 2011 Osceola School for the Arts, Istanbul, FL, USA
- Mar 8, 2011 Ortagodu Teknik University, Ankara, TURKEY
- Mar 8, 2011 Erasmus University, Rotterdam, THE NETHERLANDS
- Mar 7, 2011 Glazen Zaal, The Hague, THE NETHERLANDS
- Feb 24, 2011 Valtimontteateri, Snellmaninstitute, Helsinki, FINLAND
- Feb 18-20, 2011 McCoy Theater, Rhodes College, Memphis, TN, USA
- Dec 8, 9, 2010 Parliament of the European Union, Brussels, BELGIUM
- Dec 8, 2010 Human ACTion Festival, San Diego, CA, USA
- Dec 6, 2010 The Hague, SWEDEN
- Dec 2, 2010 Almhult, SWEDEN
- December, 2010 ICEBOX Theatre at Illinois College, Jacksonville, IL, USA
- Nov 15-17, 2010 Ladi Kwali Hall-Sheraton Abuja with Nollywood Actress Stephanie Okereke, Abuja, NIGERIA
- Nov 15, 2010 with Avon Foundation at 25 de Mayo Theater, Buenos Aires, ARGENTINA (performed in Spanish)
- Oct 28, 2010 Goteborg, SWEDEN
- Sept 23, 2010 Muammer Karaca Theater in Beyoglu with Swedish Institute and Istanbul Swedish Institute (Istanbul, TURKEY)
- Sept 17, 2010 Taj Palace Hotel with Bollywood actress Shabana “the Meryl Streep of India” (Delhi, INDIA)
- Mar 12, 2010 Millennial Broadway Hudson Theater introduced by Hillary RodhamClinton, dir. by Julie Taymor presented by Tina Brown’s Women in the World summit featuring Meryl Streep, New York City, NY, USA
- Jan 8, 2010 Famliy Violence Prevention Fund, San Francisco, CA, USA
- Riksteatern national Swedish tour: June-Dec ending Dec. 1-2, 2009 International Institute for Social Studies Kortenaerkade 12 and Nieuwe Kerk at The Hague (SWEDEN); June 29 Visby, Länsteatern; Sept 12 Gnosjö, Gnosjö Församlingshem; Sept 14 Stockholm, Stadsteatern, c/o Stockholms stadsteater; Sept 15 Stockholm, Stockholms Universitet, Juristernas Hus; Oct 1 Sundsvall, Våningen; Oct 2 Sundsvall Abonnerad; Oct 6 Malmö, Malmö Stadsteater- Intiman; Oct 7 Helsingborg, Stadsteatern, Lillan; Oct 8 Göteborg, Världskulturmuseet; Oct 14 Falun, Dala teatern, Nya scenen; Oct 19 Skellefteå, Västerbottensteatern, Scenen; Oct 20 Umeå, Sagateatern; Oct 22 Vilhelmina, Folkets Hus, Essegården; Oct 22 Vilhelmina, Folkets Hus, Essegården; Oct 23 Stockholm, Nalen, Stora salen; Oct 23 Vilhelmina, Folkets Hus, Essegården; Nov 03 Halmstad, Mediteket; Nov 04 Skövde, Göteborgsoperan Skövde, Scenen; Nov 05 Varberg, Teater Halland, Teater 1; Nov 11 Ludvika, Högbergsskolan Abonnerad; Nov 12 Falun, Haraldsbo gymnasium Abonnerad; Sept 14-15, 2009 International Democracy Day Celebrations sponsored by Riksteatern, the Swedish theatre group, International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance, United Nations Development Programme’s Nordic Office and University of Stockholm (SWEDEN)
- June 29, 2009 Aspen Ideas Festival, Aspen, Colorado, USA
- June 1, 2009 Royal Aeronautical Society in London (UK)
- Mar 26, 2009 Skirball Theater, NYU Center for Global Affairs introduced by designer Diane von Furstenberg with panel discussion moderated by Tina Brown, Daily Beast, etc., New York City, NY, USA
- Mar 16, 2009 Harvard Business School, Cambridge, MA, USA
- Nov 17, 2008 Elverket/Powerstation, the stage for contemporary plays at Royal Dramatic Theatre and Riksteatern Hallunda, Stockholm, SWEDEN
- Nov 12, 2008 The Harmon Center for the Arts / Vital Voices dir. Evan Yionoulis, Washington, DC, USA
- Oct 2-19, 2008 LaMama Experimental Theatre just the monologues, NYC, NY, USA
- Oct 16, 2008 Forum for Women on the Economy and Society, (Deauville, FRANCE)
- Oct 7, 2008 FolkTeatern in Gothenburg, main stage. A talk will follow on women living in hiding in Sweden (SWEDEN)
- Oct 16, 2008 Association for foreign policy at University of Lund with a talk on the political power of theatre (SWEDEN)
- April 13 Culture Project Women’s International Festival, New York City, NY, USA
- Mar 6, 2008 Dione von Furstenberg’s studio, Washington DC, USA
- Jan 21, 2008 at 92nd Street Y Unterberg Poetry Center, New York City, NY, USA
DPS publication, 11/15/09
Developed at Voice and Vision retreat at Bard College, and dramaturgical readings at New Dramatists, via League of Professional Theater Women, etc.
A Monologue: No More Silence
PRODUCTIONS: La Mama e.t.c., New York, NY
Libretto; Music by Curtis McKonly
An Operetta for Young Audiences
- Tribeca Peforming Arts Center
- National Childrens Theatre Award Production, Kansas City, KS
- Brooklyn Academy of Music, Brooklyn, NY
- Town Hall, New York, NY
- Los Angeles Theatre Center, LA
- WCBS-TV Christmas Special
- University of Alabama Theatre, Birmingham
- New Playwrights, Washington, DC
- Empire State Institute for the Performing Arts, Albany, NY
- Theatre Chicago, IL
- Syracuse Stage, Syracuse, NY
- The Playwrights Company, San Francisco, CA
- Urban Stages, New York, NY
a film by Stan Salfas productions:
- Cork International Film Festival, Best of Fest
- Humboldt International Film Festival, Best of Fest
- USA Film Fest, Best of Fest
Translated into Italian for Il Giornale
Music by Luther Henderson
Directed by Vernel Bagnereis
- Le Petit Theatre de Vieux Carre, New Orleans, LA
- The Womens Project and Productions, New York, NY
- Soho Rep, New York, NY
- The Women’s Project and Productions, New York, NY
- Victory Gardens, Chicago, IL
ARTIST-IN-RESIDENCE, TRIBECA PERFORMING ARTS CENTER
VISITING ARTIST, AMERICAN ACADEMY OF ROME
ROCKEFELLER FOUNDATION FELLOWSHIP
ONE WORLD ARTS GRANT FOR THEATRE THAT BRIDGES WORLDS
ARCHIVES OF THEATER AND FILM OF LINCOLN CENTER
RUBY LLOYD APSEY AWARD FOR PLAYWRITING, UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA at BIRMINGHAM
FINALIST, SUSAN SMITH BLACKBURN AWARD
FINALIST, THEATRE BUILDING CHICAGO MUSICAL THEATRE FESTIVAL
YADDO RESIDENCY GRANTS
BMI LIBRETTISTS WORKSHOP
BMI LYRICISTS WORKSHOP
ADJUNCT PROFESSOR/LECTURER of ENGLISH & PLAYWRITING: CUNY-Brooklyn College, Marymount Manhattan.